Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

Alan Richards found on the Chesapeake



Alan Richards, pictured on the right of the Photograph, Calypso's first owner has been found on Chesapeake Bay.


" I was very excited to hear she is in new hands now and might once again sail around the world.Even after selling her 32 years ago, she is still a very big part of my life and I have such wonderful memories of my life spent with Calypso."


"I am the original owner of calypso and I spent 2 months in Hong Kong watching the final touches to the boat and then preparing her for the trip to South Africa. I sailed her in the 1976 Cape to Rio Race and then continued with my circumnavigation. I figured that I sailed her 40 000 miles! On the trip from Mauritius to Durban we were caught in a cyclone for 5 days, which was quite an experience. In 1976 while crossing the Saba Bank south of Saba Island we were dismasted due to the failure of the port aft lower rigging toggle. The aluminium mast was built in Marblehead Mass in 1976."

No comments:

Post a Comment